Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Application 2: My GAME Plan

Self-directed learning is one of those phrases I have heard before, but never really stopped to reflect upon. The readings of the last couple of weeks have affirmed, however, the benefits of actively planning, monitoring, and evaluating my learning. Cennamo acknowledges that through the process of creating and delivering lessons teachers are engaging in self-directed learning (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). I do not have an established way in which to monitor this process however, so it often ends up providing me with inadequate or ineffective results. In order to more effectively reach my goals for teaching with technology, though, I will utilize a strategy developed by Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009) called the GAME plan. The GAME plan helps you set goals, take action on those goals, monitor your progress, and then evaluate how you have done in reaching the goal (Cennamo, Ross & Ertmer, 2009). This post will detail a GAME plan for two indicators from the International Society for Technology in Education (2008) that I will work on for the next two months.

The first indicator I will focus on is #3d which states teachers “model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). I have chosen this as my goal because the research process is such an important part of social studies, yet sadly, is an area where my instruction is lacking. To improve I plan to teach my students the REAL strategy for evaluating websites developed by November (2008). I will monitor students as they learn and apply each step to determine whether further assistance is needed. I can then modify my instruction to meet those needs. Once students are ready for independent practice, I will ask them to apply the skills in a research project. If they can successfully choose reliable websites, then I will have met my goal. This is only a rough idea in my head so far, though, so suggestions on how to teach analysis and evaluation of websites is appreciated.

The second indicator I will focus on pertains to my professional development. I would like to work on indicator #5a which states that I will “participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). This goal is important to me right now because of a grant I was awarded for an interactive whiteboard (IWB). I would like to connect with other teachers in my district who have one as well as globally to get help using the technology. The first action I will take is to find out how many other teachers in my district have a Hitachi Starboard. I will then see if they are willing to set up a collaborative space to share ideas and provide support to each other. The frequency with which we share ideas will be a good indicator of how well I am working toward meeting the goal. If I can learn and apply new strategies successfully from these collaborative discussions, then the learning community will be successful.

So those are my goals for the next two months. If you have any suggestions for improvements to my GAME plans, I would appreciate your feedback.

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society of Technology in Education. (2008). NETS for Teachers. Retrieved January 10, 2011, from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Promoting Self-Directed Learning with Technology. [Motion Picture]. Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas. Baltimore: Author.

November, A. (2008). Web literacy for educators. Thousands Oaks: Corwin Press.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I have been using IWBs, SmartBoards specifically, for the last two school years. Although I've never received any training on using it, I've learned by playing around with it and of course, the kids have taught me most of what I know. I'd love to share ideas with you and would appreciate any ideas that you could share with me. I'm sure there is much more that I could be doing with the Smartboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    Just like Melissa, I have also been using IWBs as well. The one that I have had the most experience with is the SmartBoard and other Smart Technology. I received training during my undergraduate program, however, my real experience came when I started teaching 8th grade this past September. My advice to you would be to continue practicing making lessons using the board. I also found a great resource that I use pretty often. http://exchange.smarttech.com/index.html#tab=0 This is a program in which you can submit and download lessons that others have used in their classrooms. There are even some great quiz and game templates that I download and adjust the material to fit my classroom content. It has been extremely useful to me so far and I hope that you can find it useful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francesca,

    I looked at the website you recommended. Do you know if it works with IWBs that are not produced by SMARTBOARD? One of the problems with the Starboard by Hitachi is that they are not as many ready-made resources for it as other brands. I have had to create a lot of my own lessons, especially since I teach Washington State history which further limits the likelihood that they are resources available out there for me to use with my content. I will try the site you recommended on Tuesday when I am hooked up to my board.

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,

    I guess the biggest thing I have learned about the IWB is that I have to give all of the students time to practice on it before getting them to do it in front of the whole class. They feel much safer coming up and participating if they have done it before. At the beginning of the year I had small groups come up to play on it together before doing it during a "high-stakes" moment. This has made even my more reluctant students eager to participate.

    Thanks for the offer of help. I think I just need to carve out more time in my day to actually experiment. IWBs have a high learning curve and I am feeling overwhelmed by that this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,
    I also have a smartboard and I love it,I would hate to have to go back to a regular blackboard or even a regular white board. The smart board has made it possible for me to engage my students on so many levels. They enjoy interacting with the board. My students were very excited when I got my board and was eager to interact with it without really knowing how to work it. It is amazing how eager students get with new technology tools. I hope your students enjoy the new board as much as my students do.

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete