Saturday, June 25, 2011

EDUC 6714 Reflection

As I started my final course, Reaching and Engaging All Learners Through Technology, at Walden University, I felt as though I had already learned what I really needed to know in order to improve literacy and technology use in my classroom. I felt sure that whatever I learned in this class would simply be an extension or reinforcement of earlier learning. Instead I gained valuable new strategies and practices that, once put into practice, will benefit students far beyond the areas of literacy and technology. It will require that I alter my teaching practices, however, these changes are necessary for ensuring that my students receive the best learning experience possible.

The profound changes I will be making are inspired by the philosophies of differentiation and Universal Design for Learning (UDL). The first change will be to get to know what kind of learners my students are—a defining component of differentiating instruction (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009a). Starting at the beginning of the year with interest and learning style surveys, such as those compiled by my Walden colleagues, I can build a profile of each student in my room that will help me shape learning experiences to their unique characteristics. I also plan to use the survey I created at http://www.polleverywhere.com/survey/BVOwW6kib. By starting this process at the beginning of the year I will have be able to immediately implement learning that is fitted to students instead of waiting until I have spent enough time with the students to know them.

Allowing for multiple pathways to common goals will be a second change I will make. The learning profiles will help me determine how to differentiate the content, process, and product so as to maximize learning for each student. As Rose states when describing UDL, providing each student with maximum opportunities to learn is the purpose of education (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). For this, technology can be a powerful tool, because it provides greater access and flexibility than traditional curriculum materials (Rose, Gravel, & Domings, 2009). An example of this can be seen in the first project I plan to do with my seventh grade history classes. In the past I required students to draw a map from the school to their house from memory. Now, however, I would like to utilize Google Earth or Mapquest as part of the creation process. I would also like to offer different options for showcasing their knowledge of the features of maps, including using Scribble Maps. These easy modifications will allow more students, such as those that are insecure in their artistic abilities or who do not have good memories, to participate more fully in the learning.

As I become more experienced in differentiating instruction I will alter more projects to allow for greater access and flexibility. The resources provided on my Walden social network give many options for digital tools that could help in that quest. For example, the site provided by New Hanover County Schools and recommended by Noreen of my social network lists many types of technology that can be used by each type of learner to improve their attainment of knowledge. Tomlinson, however, recommends proceeding slowing so as not to become overwhelmed (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009c). I plan to follow this advice since it will require a change in my teaching practice. In this way, I can allow differentiated instruction to become my teaching philosophy instead of just a trick I pull out of my teaching hat. These efforts will then have long-lasting, positive effects on the growth of my students.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009a). Introduction to differentiation. [Video file]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009b). Universal design for learning. [Video file]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2009c). What is differentiated instruction? [Video file]. Reaching and engaging all learners through technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Rose, D., Gravel, J., and Domings, Y. (2009). UDL unplugged: The role of technology in UDL. Wakefield, MA: CAST. Retrieved May 21, 2011, from http://www.udlcenter.org/resource_library/articles/udlunplugged

1 comment: